Crowhurst Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group
Notes of Meeting held on Monday 6 June 2016  
in Crowhurst Village Hall

Present:   Chris Davidson, Ros Day, Tracy Hoad, Sonia Plato, Diane Stainsby,
                      Martin White, Ann Wilson, Willy Wilson, David Howley, Pat Buckle

In Attendance:  Mr Norman Kwan, Principal Planning Officer, Rother District Council.
   2 Members of the Public

Ros Day opened the meeting and introduced Mr Norman Kwan. He explained that his role in the Neighbourhood Plan process was to give advice and guidance on behalf of Rother District Council to towns and parishes preparing neighbourhood plans.  He stated that allocation and site development was the responsibility of a colleague.  He confirmed there were currently 9 plans underway across Rother and he was therefore able to draw on their experiences.  He had responded to various questions sent to him by email prior to the meeting and responded to many more during the course of the evening.

Apologies:        Gareth Bright  

1.         Minutes of Previous Meetings
1.1       Steering Group held on 27 April 2016 – Minutes approved.
1.1.1    Matters  Arising - None
1.2       Neighbourhood Plan (NP) Meeting held on Wednesday 18 May 2016 – Minutes received.
1.2.1    Matters  Arising – None

2.         Task Groups Identification and Reports
2.1       Finance – Ann Wilson informed the meeting that there was £245.18 in the account and the Terms of Reference for the group had been completed and passed to the Clerk, Crowhurst Parish Council, for submission to the Council for approval.  Discussion was taking place with the Clerk regarding the budgeting process, and the invoice for the designing and setting up of the website had been passed to him.  There followed discussion on the grant process and Norman Kwan informed the meeting that claim forms could be found on-line, the grant would be paid in 4 instalments as the plan progressed and would be sent direct to the Parish Council as the responsible authority for the NP. Any stationery and equipment required would be ordered through the Clerk. It was confirmed that the application for the first instalment of the grant would be submitted to the Neighbourhood Plan Group at its meeting on 11 June 2016 and on to the Parish Council for approval and submission.

2.2       Communication – The notes of the Communication Task Group meeting held on 1 June 2016 had previously been distributed to the meeting.  In the absence of Gareth Bright, Ros Day reported that the new website address for the NP had been set up ( www.crowhurstneighbourhoodplan.org ).  Emails, approved by the Steering Group, would be sent to Claverham College, Battle Abbey, Claremont and Crowhurst Primary School informing them that a NP was being prepared and suggesting that a NP representative meet with children from Crowhurst who attend their school, to explain what a NP is and to get their views on the future of the village.  Tracy Hoad agreed to speak to Andrew Jervis, Head Teacher at Crowhurst School, to arrange such a visit.  Ros Day also reported that the group was still finalising a list of local businesses and Valerie Grove was researching banners to be displayed around the village to raise residents’ awareness.  Sonia Plato suggested an informal public meeting where small interest groups could discuss ideas for the NP, possibly instead of the July meeting of the NP Group.

2.3       Street Champions – Diane Stainsby reported that 30 Street Champions (SC) had been identified for delivery of the village survey and a meeting needed to be arranged to explain what was required of them and answer any queries they may have.  It was agreed that in the event of no answer from a house, a copy of the survey form and a card containing contact details of the SC would be left in an envelope marked ‘Village Survey’ explaining that the SC had called and requesting that the completed survey be returned to them in the envelope attached. Householders would be encouraged to contact the SC if they had any queries or needed help in completing the form. The meeting agreed that the survey should be delivered before the schools break up for the summer and that a draft would be submitted to the NP Group for approval. Willy Wilson agreed to let Diane Stainsby know when the survey form was ready for delivery.  It was confirmed that Catherine Bright would carry out the analysis of all the completed forms.  The question of data protection was raised in terms of residents needing to know where the information was going and further thought would be given to this when completing the draft form. Badges to identify the SCs need to be ordered via the Parish Clerk. Norman suggested SCs going out in pairs to ensure safety.

2.4       Land Utilisation – Chris Davidson reported on the task group meeting held on 31 May 2016 at which the title of this group was agreed as ‘Land Use (Call for Sites) Task Group’ because the survey was not just about housing and ‘Call for Sites’ was included because it was the widely understood phrase for this work.  He confirmed that no comments had been received from the statements in the Crowhurst News.  Discussion at the group’s meeting consisted of;
Consideration of the village periphery for development.
How to progress housing needs as the last survey had been carried out some years ago.
Changing of the development boundaries.
Timescales for the work.
Provisional budget for the first instalment of the grant.
Incorporation in the village survey form of an invitation to residents to suggest possible sites.
Following the receipt of the survey information, a list of suggested sites would be compiled . Timescale for this put at 10 weeks after survey results.
‘Call for Sites’ form to include the suggested sites from the survey and residents asked if there were any more.

In response to questions to Norman Kwan, he confirmed;
40% of affordable housing was required for each development site. In this area, these are usually run by Amicus.
The District Council’s housing needs survey for Crowhurst was on the RDC website.
A specialist developer would be needed for eco housing which would be more expensive. Chosen sites/housing styles need to be deliverable and  viable in terms of cost
6 houses on a half acre site was the minimum development.
Any change of development boundaries should be included in the NP.
 Include housing style in NP.

During the discussion of the timescale for the Task Group’s work, Norman Kwan informed the meeting that to meet the District Council’s necessary deadline for RDC’s  5yr housing supply  submission to the Inspector , the draft NP would need to be received by the Spring 2017, a far shorter time than the Steering Group had previously understood. He stated that the vision and objectives for the Plan would come out of the survey information.  He suggested that the draft Plan should go to him to check if a Strategic Environmental Assessment was needed. Norman also mentioned several policies in the Core Strategy that the NP will need to follow. It was finally agreed that the timescale would be 2 weeks for the return of the Village survey form and three weeks for the ‘Call for Sites’ form.

2.5       Research/Heritage – Dave Howley reported that Bruce Cripps, Tim Lewin and himself had discussed various heritage walks around the village, e.g. flint finds during the Link Road development, gunpowder activity, etc., with the walks to include a visit to The Plough.  It was felt this would encourage people in surrounding areas to visit the village and increase use of the pub. Local libraries would be contacted for further information.

3.         Project Plan/Milestones
 Ros Day presented the draft Project Plan. A simpler version will be submitted to the NP Group meeting on 11 June 2016. Norman Kwan commented on the detail included and agreed it would be useful for monitoring progress.

4.            Survey/Objectives
A copy of the draft village survey was presented to the meeting and was approved with some amendments to the layout. This would be presented to the NP Group at its meeting on 11 June 2016.  Steering Group members were asked to forward any comments on the draft to Catherine Bright.

5.         Display Boards
Martin White agreed to make a set of boards as the WW1 groups’ boards may not be available when needed.   Sonia Plato stated she would contact the Crowhurst Community Arts Fund as it was believed it had some old boards that may be useful.

6.            Consultants
It was confirmed that the Parish Clerk was researching some suitable consultants to go through the Project Plan, to ensure the Strategic Environment Assessment and other technical details were correct, to identify any gaps/shortfalls  in the outcome required.  It was agreed that 3 consultants would be contacted for comparison.  Ros Day and Sonia Plato agreed to take this forward.

7.         Agenda for Next Planning Group Meeting
                Gail Hurley to chair.  Report back from Task Groups.

8.         Date of Next Meetings
Neighbourhood Plan Group – Saturday 11 June 2016 at 3.30pm in Crowhurst Village Hall.
                Steering Group – Monday 4 July 2016 at 7.30pm Crowhurst Village Hall

The meeting closed at 10.25pm.
  

WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?​

TASK GROUPS

There are several task groups in which Crowhurst resident volunteers work on issues like communications, land use, heritage and the environment  These groups will make a huge contribution to the final Neighbourhood Plan document. 

POLICIES AND FAQS

This page contains the legal stuff! Our policies, data protection information, terms of reference and frequently asked questions about the Neighbourhood Planning Process. 

COMMUNITY GALLERY

Your pictures of our village.  Views, buildings, sheep, trees, dogs..... we want to see what makes you happy about Crowhurst. Please send you photos to :

Towards the end of 2016 we met with staff and pupils at Crowhurst Primary School and Claverham. Given that our consultation  with local schools will be ongoing we have created a new dedicated website page links, notes and information about our school visits. 


Useful links:
For more information on the Crowhurst Neighbourhood Plan application please see: 

For more information on our Neighbourhood Plan process and to access minutes of all previous meetings please see either of the links below: